Pages

Monday 6 January 2014

Single girl pet peeves


Discrimination does exist in society. Everyone faces some form of it during their lifetime. I consider myself as pretty easy going but there's one kind of discrimination that I absolutely refuse to sit down and take. It's the single girl discrimination. Every time I walk into a restaurant and ask for a table for one, I get strange looks from the staff. I also get strange pitiful looks from fellow patrons. I can see them trying to work out my story. All I want to do is order a coffee and chocolate cake! I also really want to take my time and enjoy my meal so it annoys me when the waiter tries to rush me and I contemplate taking even longer to finish my meal. In the end I settle by ordering more food or leaving without tipping him/her! Same scenario, works a bit different if a single guy walks into a restaurant. People observe him and have already categorised him as being mysterious and soulful. So not fair!

And this is just at a restaurant. One's social circle can also apply inconsistencies in their treatment of a single girl and a single guy. These are some of the most annoying and infuriating questions/statements/comments/thoughts directed at single girls and guys. So discriminatory.

Immediate Family of a single girl- So are you sure you're not seeing anyone?
Extended family ( Uncles/Aunts etc. ) - Do you like girls?
Immediate/Extended family of a single guy - No questions asked, no explanations required.

Colleagues of a single girl - You're too fussy and particular, I can just see that. 
Colleagues of a single guy - You're the man! Which bar should we go to after work?

Females who are supervised by a single girl - I don't understand why you're single? You need to go out more and meet more people...go to bars. 
(Males supervised by a single girl are simply too intimidated to say anything!)
Females who are supervised by a single guy - He's such a hottie. I wonder why he hasn't settled down yet? Maybe he hasn't found the right woman for him. (Unless the single guy is an absolute asshole of a boss!)
Males supervised by a single guy - Happy hour starts at 5 tonight. Let's get wasted!

Boss of a single girl - You need a life ( What they mean is you need a man! ) 
Also.....You need to relax or you'll burn yourself too early.
Boss of a single guy - You got your priorities sorted. Now let's discuss the next step in your career over drinks on Friday after work.

Friends of a single girl - You don't go out enough.
Or.....You need to get out more.
And....What happened to that guy.....? ( Makes mention of a random guy with whom you had a 30 second conversation at a bar 2 months ago )
And.....You just don't give people a chance.
And of course....You always shut guys down.

And, my all time favourite which gets used every single time....
You just need to put yourself out there.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe on Planet Earth, in a single guy's world............this conversation in non-existent.

No comments:

Post a Comment