Pages

Friday 6 April 2012

Writer's block?

I recently returned from a trip of a lifetime, from a place I had only ever dreamt of visiting. Before I left for the trip, I was asked to carry a journal and record my sightings. I didn't think about that for the first few days. Somewhere, mid-journey I decided to write. I was surprised to find how difficult it was getting a few lines on a sheet of paper. Those who know me would have been surprised too to find me struggling with words (I am not one to hold back when it comes to putting my thoughts on paper). I hadn't expected it to be that hard really as what I wanted to write about was based on fact, on reality, on things I had actually seen. Perhaps it was some kind of writer's block I was suffering from back then. I could see things but not convert them into words. A part of me thought ( and still thinks) that maybe putting it into words was degrading the experience and somehow reducing the enormity of it. I did manage to fill a sheet with words, but they weren't words from my soul. They were simply words. Words, that didn't give away anything I had seen. Words, that couldn't even begin to pierce through the depths of my world back there. I attempted writing again a few days later. This time barely got half a page filled. I'm still struggling to put my experiences from that world into words. Like I said, I guess I still believe words will reduce and even perhaps pollute and diminish my journey. That trip was surreal. That trip was indescribable. That trip cannot be reduced to mere words.

1 comment:

  1. good girl :) where are the stories?

    I wrote one of my own too

    ReplyDelete